The world’s aviation industry is benefiting from the operation of a first class Global Aerospace Center for Icing and Environmental Research (GLACIER) in Thompson, Manitoba. MDS AeroTest is managing, operating and maintaining the GLACIER facility, providing employment opportunities for a variety of skill sets at this high-tech aero engine experimental test facility.
MDS AeroTest has an immediate requirement for an Instrumentation and Controls Engineer for the GLACIER facility in Thompson, Manitoba.
The primary responsibility of this position is to maintain and troubleshoot instrumentation and control systems in an outdoor aero engine test facility.
The candidate shall demonstrate proficiency in the following activities:
- Calibrate instrumentation related to the measurement of numerous parameters such as temperature, pressure, frequency, strain, vibration and flow.
- Troubleshoot faults in the above instrumentation and make/recommend repairs as required.
- Test, calibrate and troubleshoot PLC interfaces to items such as control valves, limit switches, pressure switches, level sensors and flow switches.
- Be able to read existing PLC ladder logic and troubleshoot control systems.
- Understand existing electrical schematics and fluid P&ID drawings.
- Secondary responsibilities may include systems design work related to instrumentation and controls systems.
Skills and Experience
- Five to seven years of work experience with skills in the following areas:
- Working knowledge of PLC ladder logic (ideally Allen Bradley), HMI software (ideally Wonderware) and communication protocols such as RS232, RS422, TCP/IP and Modbus.
- Proficient working knowledge of PC hardware, in a networked environment, and software including Windows, Word and Excel.
- Experience with the following instrumentation: pressure transmitters, RTDs, thermocouples, frequencies, analogue voltage and current signals, discrete state I/0, strain gauges, control valve interfaces motor starters/MCC, VFD.
- Proficient in the calibration of instruments and/or data acquisition system sensors.
- Experience in tuning PID controllers.
- Experience includes two years working with PLC control systems and instrumentation in an industrial or R&D environment.
- Wililng and able to work outdoors.
- Willing and able to travel and work internationally.
This position will primarily be working with MDS AeroTest in Thompson, Manitoba however up to 20% of the time may be spent in MDS Aero Support’s Ottawa office – for training and other design related activities. There may be additional travel required to other destinations outside of Canada.
- Undergraduate degree in a related discipline.
- An auditing designation such as CQA, or recognized training in auditing.
Candidates who consider themselves a team player are invited to submit their resume in confidence to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates who meet or exceed our requirements, are legally eligible to work in Canada and do not require sponsorship will be contacted.
Please visit our Partner’s website www.mdsaerotest.com to view all open positions.
Telephone calls not accepted from candidates or agencies.